Monday, May 7, 2012

69: Sonsonate 6

Hello family!!

So this has been a good week, I'm not gonna lie.  We had a baptism.  F. C.

F. C. is a quieter guy who thinks a little slower.  He is the husband of Hermana K. S.  She's a faithful member and probably one of the fastest talkers ever.  She's way funny, and fat.  I met F. my first week here.  We taught him for a while at first, then he kind of dropped off.  I definitely had to put the patience I've learned on the mission in practice there.  I waited up to five minutes for every question I gave him.  Well, he was progressing slowly, but progressing.  Then Elder G. came on interchanges (a while ago), and, not being the best listener, kind of offended F.

Well, so we dropped him for a little bit, but two weeks later, I came to the realization that the reason Hermana K. was so fat was because she knew how to cook.  And really well.  She's a chef.  So I made the very easy decision to have her cook for us.  It was great.  On Sundays, we always got to eat with F. as well, and I always turned the conversation to baptism at the end.  One day, he kind of came to the realization that he did need to get baptized.  The next week he told us he's give us an answer on Thursday.  We visited him throughout the week.  I thought he was very close to accepting.

Then, Thursday night, we arrived at their house and found it to be really awkward.  They had just gotten into a bit of a fight.  After singing a hymn and praying, I asked F. how he felt, and he said he didn't think he'd get baptized.  He said that his wife was a member, and still had this fault, and this fault, etc. (she has a very strong personality).  Well, I then realized he needed to learn about the atonement.  We taught him about the atonement, and that the only way to accept it is through baptism and taking the sacrament every Sunday.  That's the only way that we can progress in this life and really be real Christians.  It was a very powerful lesson.  We used D&C 19.  After, using Mosiah 18, I read of each one of the requirements for baptism, and asked them to F.  He accepted, but started coming up with excuses for why he shouldn't get baptized.  Then he started in one…"I don't know if I can get baptized this Saturday because I don't know what time I'll get off work....but 6:30 would be good.  You guys can invite who you want.  Yeah, that'll be perfect."

I kind of went mute for a couple seconds.  But there it was, F. just put his own date.

Saturday he got baptized.  My companion, Elder Perez, baptized him (his first baptism in the mission!).  It was a sweet baptism, and we had 5 investigators come.

Sunday he got confirmed as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and received the gift of the Holy Ghost, a personal guide from God that can lead us to happiness if we listen to it.

Man, this church is so awesome.

Also, maybe one of the best parts, Hermana K. still makes us food.

This week we're expecting one more baptism (Hermana D.), and two dates (Familia V., they're way sweet).

Talk to you on Sunday,
Elder Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment