Sunday, November 27, 2011

46: Independencia 13

Hello Family!

Well, this week has been busy.

It started with Friday. After writing you all, I got to go to the temple with my zone. As it just so happened, my ward mission leader, Ivan Retana, was going to the same session to take out his endowment. It was a pretty neat experience. First of all, it was cool because everything was in Spanish and I understood it. But seriously, the temple is just awesome. If you ever need to get answers for your life, the temple is the best place to do it. If you ever need to feel the spirit of the Lord, the temple is the best place to do it. It's just the best place in the world. After having a long break of not going to the temple (about 8 months), I really was able to learn a lot.

I'm not gonna lie, Saturday and Sunday were very hard days. We didn't get anyone in sacrament meeting, a lot of our appointments fell, and we dropped a ton of investigators who really weren't progressing. Then changes week began. Wow. Let's just say that this was the busiest week I have had in the office since I got here.

But really, I was busy. The president gave me a ton of assignments because we had changes, then the following day we had the Thanksgiving multizones. So honestly and truthfully, I have not had much time to do actual missionary work. Except Monday, which was awesome.

Monday is when the news [new elders] come, but because we had already prepared everything for that day, I was able to slip out with a member in the afternoon while Elder Christner stayed and took care of los nuevos. I went with a member named Juan Blanco (or John White in English). He is the president of Sunday School for the stake, and is probably one of the most amazing teachers I have ever met. He lives in Palmar, but went with me this time because we needed a member. We went and taught the grandparents of a member, Daniel. It was a very cool lesson. The wife, Adilia, is totally on board. The husband, Avilio, is a doubter. But man, the way Juan taught, there wasn't really any room left to doubt.

After that, we went to visit Hermana Berta. She's a very, very intelligent woman, maybe a little eccentric (I think she really likes conspiracy theories), but way funny. She is very smart. We talked to her cousin, Mario that day too (he lives in the same house as her). Well, he's just a little crazy. He likes Mormonism, but doesn't believe in sin or that any church is true. But he likes Mormonism. I'm just really not sure how he managed to get baptized. But, whatever, he's started coming to church again, so maybe he'll figure it out. I just thought the lesson was pretty funny because Juan Blanco likes to have control of the lessons (that's what makes him so good), but that's impossible with these two. They both love to talk. Usually, when I go with Elder Christner, we say about 5 sentences, and the rest of the time sit back, listen, and enjoy. It's all good though. Hermana Berta usually comes to the same conclusions that we want to teach her without us saying anything. Anyways, Juan Blanco got a little frustrated because he couldn't say anything. But hey, it's the mission.

After that lesson, I went back to Juan's house where he taught me for an hour. Man, I think he's taught me more about missionary work than anyone else. I've been trying to put his teaching ideas into practice, and my teaching has improved a ton. That guy's gold. Pure hour of inspiration.

The next day was Tuesday. I left the office at about 6:30 because the president was having his interviews with the missionaries going home and I had to be there. I was able to finish the mission newsletter (El Estandarte). Yeah, it's new. I can send a copy of it next week. It was the first newsletter we've had with this President. Then I went on interchanges with Elder Sutton. He was there because he was going to Belize the next morning.

So he went out with me and we contacted houses. Pretty cold. Then we went and taught the familia Viana. The mom of one of the kids, who is a member, started asking us about eternal marriage. She has a boyfriend and wants to understand that. I tried putting in the tactics Juan taught me, and it was a pretty sweet lesson. Then after they gave us food. Good old beans, eggs, and cream. It was delicious and simple, as always.

Wednesday, more interviews, another hectic day in the office. I finished this pamphlet on the BOM that the President wanted. I did it all. I was pretty proud of my accomplishment. I ended up going out with my companion finally, but we were pretty fried. We taught this 8-year-old daughter of a member who wants to get baptized (so she won't count as a convert). The bishop asked us to teach her, so we are. At least it'll reactivate her mom.

Thursday was pure hectic. I started working at 6:30 basically. As soon as I woke up I had to start calling zones for information. Then we got to the office at 7:30 and had to set everything up for the Thanksgiving multizone. The assistants weren't there because they had to drive a wounded missionary to the San Salvador Hospital the night before, and then the car broke down, so they weren't able to come back on time, so I had to sit in the meeting and do all the things the assistants normally do (except for teach), without knowing exactly how the president wanted it (microphones, powerpoint, running around, etc). Well, it all went well as it turns out. Then the next meeting (which was actually my meeting), the assistants showed up, but the president still had me do everything because I already knew how he wanted everything done. Dang it. I didn't get to take notes. Oh well. It was a good experience. Well, then I still had a whole bunch of work to do and Elder Christner had to scan and email all those Thanksgiving notes you guys got, so we were in the office until about 8:30. Got back fried and hammered, but with a full stomach. So it was all good.
Well, now it's Friday again. Wow that week went by fast. It feels like I haven't been in the temple for ages again. Well, I'll wait it out six more months until the next time. Until then, I still have a whole bunch of projects, and Christmas coming up. I've decided I'd be pretty good in the business world. Elder Christner tells me it is a lot like what we're doing now. I like it. It actually is kind of fun. I just wish I was able to work more in the area still, but this upcoming week will be much better. Well, keep up doing whatever good things you're doing, don't forget who you are, and get ready for Christmas.

Love you all,

Elder Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment