Friday, November 11, 2011

44: Independencia 11

Hello family!
         
So it’s been a good week.

Saturday we did a way sweet activity, me and Elder Christner.  It was called "Men with Brooms."  Basically, we went contacting with brooms, and tried to see how many houses we could sweep that day.  I’m not gonna lie, it is so much fun doing service.

Sunday was great.  We got five investigators to sacrament meeting.  One of our members, Hubo (probably the coolest guy in the world), brought two old grandpas to church.  He says he wants to get them baptized and through the temple before they die.  It’s awesome.  I love that guy.  The two viejitos are way sweet too.  Fidel (the grandpa) always introduces himself as “Fidel, but not Castro.”  He’s so funny.  So we’re going to try to put a baptism date on this Sunday.

Also, William can’t get permission.  He was our red head investigator.  He’s way cool, a good boy, he knows the Church is true and wants to get baptized, but his parents won’t let him.  They’re hard core Catholics.  It’s pretty rough, and since school just finished for him he’s going to go to the states in two weeks, so we’ll never be able to baptize him.  Kind of rough.

Then we have Mauricio.  He’s an investigator we’ve been teaching for a couple months.  He’s wanted to get baptized for a long time now, but his wife keeps putting off the marriage date (his wife’s a member, and they’re not married).  We have it set for the first week of December.  Then we have the family Batres.  It’s this sweet family we’ve found.  We’ve taught them the first lesson, and the Book of Mormon, and they’re progressing pretty well.  They are a way sweet family, we just need to get them to church.

Then we have the family Quintanilla.  This is a way sweet couple.  They’re an older couple, and would be the perfect grandparents for anyone.  They’re always way happy when we get there, the husband is so funny.  The wife always makes us arroz con leche, or something like that when we come.  They’re awesome.  They also had a son who did a student exchange program in Texas, so he speaks perfect English.  Last Saturday we were teaching them, and the son entered in.  We watched two movies about the apostasy, that was way cool.  After, as we were explaining the authority, he began to tell us how he came to the conclusion that no church was right because each one was founded by man.  We explained to him that ours wasn’t, and he was just completely closed off, and kept talking.  He was very well learned with the Bible, and had had a lot of good questions.  The problem was that he came to the wrong conclusions, and is now shut off to the truth.  Man, it was frustrating teaching him.  It made me realize how true the Church really is.  It was a 2 hour lesson.  I really hope God can open his heart, because he is just an awesome person, and I know the gospel would make his life so much better.  By the end of the lesson, his own mom started to side with us and explain that really, we made sense.  But, oh well.  Another missionary experience.

So we put up a tree in the office.  Merry Christmas!

Also, Elder Hosman left this week.  His parents came down to El Salvador to meet his converts for a week (remember, he was the assistant for about 9 months).  He was an awesome missionary, and definitely a big influence and example for me.  I’ve learned tons from him, more than probably any other missionary.  His parents were sweet.  I realized how bad I was at English too.  It was way hard to talk to them in just English.  Usually when I speak English, I still need to use a lot of words in Spanish because I don’t remember the English equivalent.  But with them, I couldn’t.  Man, it was weird.  I have a fear of going home.  I have to change a lot more lives before I go home.  It really made me want to work harder.  So I want to baptize 3 families before the end of the year.  I already have 2 lined up, and need one more.  I’m going to need a lot of faith, so let’s pray for another family!  Yeah!

Well, it’s all good here in El Salvador.  I hope everyone’s good back home.  I’m going to keep looking for that one more family.  I’m already way excited for Christmas, but also kind of scared.  I’ll probably get a little baggy.  Oh well.  Just keep working.

Love ya’ll,

Elder Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment