Tuesday, May 3, 2011

16: San Jorge 7

Hey there!
This week has been eventful.  First of all, I got my new companion, Elder Urbina.  At first, I was a little scared because a bunch of people said he was a "wicked …".  Yeah, he likes to joke around, and his face does look kind of intimidating, but he is a dang good missionary.  I learn so much from him even though he doesn't really speak English.  Also, Elder Delgado left to Peru and we got a new zone leader, Elder Rabanales.  He's a Guatemalan who grew up in Sandy and Guatemala (right now his family lives in Alpine).  He speaks both perfect English and Spanish.  Pretty sweet.
So Elder Urbina is also the district leader.  Thursday was our first district meeting.  Halfway through, Elder García and Elder Ortega were pulled out by the zone leaders.  I was a little concerned that maybe they'd done something bad, and when they came back in they were looking a little flustered.  But no, they didn't do anything wrong.  Don't worry.  Turns out the president made some emergency transfers and sent them to San Salvador for the next couple changes to help with the move.
That meant we had an extra area in our district, and our zone leaders kindly put us in charge of Palmar.  So we have two areas now, Palmar and San Jorge, and I still don't speak Spanish well.  Yep.  It's pretty stressful, but I've got to admit, I like having an area with an actual ward.  But yeah, it's still difficult.
Saturday morning the shower blew up.  As you might already know, we were one of the only houses in the mission with hot water, but not anymore.  Saturday morning I went to shower and turned on the power and noticed something out of the corner of my eye, a flash of light above the shower.  I noticed that all the wiring was pretty screwed up and not covered, but to be honest, I was really tired, so I figured it was a figment of my imagination and got in the water.  About three minutes later my shower kind of exploded...no, it pretty much exploded.  I heard a whole bunch of crackling and loud noises, and saw a whole bunch of ashes falling all around me.  I looked up at the shower head and saw about a 6 inch flame above me.  I jumped out, killed the power, and brushed the ashes off my body.  The flame dwindled, the ashes stopped falling, and now we don't have hot water.
We also had a baptism on Saturday for investigators of Palmar that I don't know and an investigator from Primavera (Elder Brown's zone) who I have actually taught a bunch because I was always doing interchanges [exchanges] with Elder Gonzalez.
Also on Saturday, I got to change a tire for Walfre, "the Tiger."  He's a member who occasionally brings floutas or donuts to all the missionaries in our mission.  He's awesome.  But Saturday he was driving through Santa Ana when his tire went flat.  He had a 3-year-old sleeping in the car, and couldn't really leave him.  So he said a prayer, and three seconds later we turned the corner.  Wow.  I'm really glad my dad taught me how to change a tire, because my companion was kind of struggling.  It felt pretty awesome, and then the Tiger brought us donuts this morning—more blessings.
Sunday we went with a member through Palmar to learn it.  Also, my companion had a baptism in his old area (not that far away), so we went.  After, we went to eat at a member's house.  We had sopa de pata.  It looked really weird, and I didn't know what pata was.  My companion asked me if I wanted to know what I was eating.  I told him no, not until a good hour after.  The soup had a good flavor, but I've got to admit, I don't like pata very much (cow hoof).  The meat was just really flubbery and stringy, and you can't really chew it.  I'd try to chew it in my mouth, swallow a little bit, and it'd still be connected, so I'd have a string of cow hoof muscle going from my stomach to my mouth.  Yeah.  Not my favorite delicacy here.
Well, it's been an interesting week.  We've found a lot of new families, but none of them came to church, which was kind of disappointing.  It's all going well in Central America.  I'm doing well and love the work.  Hope all's going well back in the land of America. (It's funny.  Everyone here wears America clothes and say that they are part of America.  But I'm from America, and this is not America.  But they all claim to be Americans.  I think they're mistaken.  America and Central America are very different.)  I'd love to get more letters.  I just got my first three on Monday.  Way exciting.  Hope I can pick up Spanish soon, but until then, I'll just keep working as hard as I can!  The Church is true!
¡Adios!
Elder Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment